Can I use petroleum jelly as a moisturizer?

I would really like to cut down on beauty costs, and was wondering if it would be ok to use petroleum jelly (Vaseline) on my face instead of moisturizer. Would this work or no?

@makeupchick89 you could, but truth be told, it really wouldn’t help much at all because petroleum jelly, or vaseline, only acts as a moisturizing barrier, which means it’ll protect the skin from drying up ONCE it’s already moisturized. Without a moisturizer underneath, it won’t do much at all unfortunately. So, you’ll still need a moisturizer, and then you can massage a very small amount of Vaseline on top of said moisturizer to act as a protective barrier.

Hi @makeupchick89, I definitely would not recommend petroleum jelly instead of a moisturizer. It does not provide moisture, but like @Linda_Neagu mentioned, only acts as a barrier. Plus, it’s very thick when it goes on, and does not feel too great on the skin.

Yes of Couse, Petroleum jelly perfectly works as a moisturizer. I really appreciate the benefits of petroleum jelly.
I have a dry skin that really got messed up if sometimes I forgot to take care of it then I feel petroleum jelly works better for me in that situation.

But it feels so sticky so you have to use it in the night and during the day you can go for any moisturize.

@makeupchick89 I guess, both of them have their separate purposes to serve. However, in some cases, petroleum jelly can be used as moisturizers(Still not recommended). The petroleum jelly will not gonna moisturize or hydrate your skin as well as a skin moisturizer. The density of petroleum jellies is quite high and they can’t be absorbed by the skin properly. I completely agree with @Georgia, it will not be a good idea to use petroleum jelly instead of a moisturizer.