Should I moisturize if I have really oil skin?

So I have super oily skin, and I feel like every time I moisturize. it makes it even MORE oily and greasy. I KNOW you should moisturize regardless of your skin type, but it just seems a little counter-active to me in the way that I’m adding more oils into the skin.

I guess the better question would be…is there a moisturizer that’s suitable for oily skin? And if so, which is the best and why?

@ericafoxx YES you should absolutely moisturize even if you have the oiliest skin in the world! Adding moisture to the skin is completely unlike adding “more oils”. What moisturizing does is adds a protective barrier (somewhat of a layer) to the skin which protects it from a bunch of different things such as sun damage, environmental factors, dirt, etc. Not to mention that it gives your skin the moisture that it needs which in turn prevents wrinkles and fine lines down the road. So yes please please use a moisturizer :slight_smile:

Moisturizing is so important, it’s one of those skin care steps that should never ever be avoided. For oily skin though, make sure you get an oil-free, non-comedogenic moisturizer. Usually, these will be gel-like moisturizers, and I use Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel, which I highly recommend! It goes on so nicely and doesn’t leave skin oily or greasy, plus it absorbs really fast!

1 Like

So I have super oily skin and I moisturize twice a day: once in the morning and then again at night. It’s important because moisturizing your skin doesn’t make it more oily! If anything, it can help control oil production in the long run. If you want a good recommendation, I use Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion. It’s a little more expensive, but it leaves your skin super soft and not oily at all!

@Katie totally agree with you on this one! Even if you have the oiliest of skin, you STILL need to moisturize girl! Try the Neutrogena gel moisturizer - I’ve been using it for a while and I too have oily skin, but it’s like a god-send for your skin!

Yes, as other have recommended, you should most definitely moisturize, no matter how oily your skin is. Make sure you wash your face with an oil-free cleanser every morning and every night. Then, apply a skin balancing toner such as Thayer’s Witch Hazel Toner (it’s done wonders for my skin!). Follow up with a water-based gel moisturizer. These types of moisturizers don’t typically contain any soil, so it’s perfect for oily skin.

It’s a general skincare belief that if you have oily skin, you can skip moisturising. Well, that is absolutely incorrect.
Moisturising your face is related to quenching the thirst of your skin whereas oiliness is something different entirely. That’s like the difference between water and soda.
So yes, you should moisturise even if you have the oiliest skin. But you must choose your moisturiser based on what would not lead to the additional secretion of oil making your face shine from kilometres away.

Hope you found this beneficial.
Till then, keep it chic!

Hi, I used to have the same situation as yours but after it, I worked upon myself and used some baby care products and it really worked on me so you can also go for it.