The "no-poo" method...does it really make your hair healthier?

I’ve heard of tons of people that have stopped using shampoo altogether and use a combo of baking soda and ACV…the “no-poo” method, but does it really work to make your hair healthier?

Honestly, it all depends on the type of hair you have and your personal preference. I personally couldn’t imagine not using shampoo and conditioner on my hair, but I do know quite a few people who have tried it, and the results were mixed! Some people seem to love it, while others do not. There is actually no scientific proof to back the no-poo method, but you should still try it nonetheless.

One thing I can tell you for sure is that it WON’T make your hair worse, but only healthier. Shampoos and conditioner can strip the hair of healthy oils, plus they’re loaded with harmful chemicals. For starters, I suggest only using water to wash your hair (no shampoo), but using a conditioner on your ends.

Check this out for more info:

1 Like

@dana_rex YES! It totally works as long as you can get over the fact that your hair may look pretty greasy at first :joy: After a while though, you’ll notice your hair becoming stronger, longer, and shinier. Especially during the first week (depending on how often you usually wash your hair), your hair will take some getting used to, but hang in there because it’ll get worse before it gets better!

I usually just wash my hair with a little bit of baking soda and water and then rinse with water and apple cider vinegar. I do this like 2-3 times a week, and in between I’ll use baby powder to soak up any excess oil!

I’ve stopped using shampoo for about 2 years now, and my hair is sooo much healthier, so much thicker, and it’s growing at a much faster rate! But a word of warning, the first few weeks can be the hardest. I think this is because it takes time for your hair to adjust to its new “washing methods”, so until that happens you’ll be stuck with greasy looking, unwashed hair. Get through that part, and I swear it’ll be totally worth it!

What this does it basically take your hair back to its “roots”. Our hair isn’t naturally equipped to take the beating that it gets from products,shampoos, and conditioners. All of these things are packed with chemicals, dyes, and fragrances which actually make our hair weaker with time. Eventually, the hair breaks down due to the chemicals in the products, and the result is thinner, weaker, and more damaged hair.

Removing the shampoo is like rebooting to your hair’s natural state. It’ll take a few weeks for adjustment, but once it does adjust, your hair will be that much better for it! Just try it because you’ve literally got nothing to loose :slight_smile:

try it slowly!
say u wash ur hair daily… now u start washing only once every 2 days.
then slowly, once only every 4 days.
after another week or so, go to once every week instead.

this slow easing is to let your hair gets conditioned to no-shampoo

yes! i agree with this. for my first few weeks, it feels so disgusting and i have to keep resisting the urge to wash for a good clean feel.

glad i made it!