What kind of ingredients do I need to make eyeshadow and such?

I’m looking into possibly starting to make my own makeup, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this. I’d like to know what I should buy (the bases, necessities), etc, and then of course, what type of ingredients are needed to make eyeshadows, blushes, etc. Is it even worth it or not?

The reason I want to do this is simply moreso for fun, but I also know the ingredients will be healthier for my skin. Thanks all!

1 Like

Hi @annieb! Initially, you’ll need a few ingredients to get rolling, but once you have them, it’s really easy to make your own eyeshadow! Here’s what you should pick up:

Mica Powder - a fine mineral powder which comes in a huge variety of colors. You can mix them together to create your own unique colors :slight_smile:

Beeswax Pellets - this is if you want to make a cream eyeshadow, which will be much more pigmented than a powder shadow with just mica powder.

Shea Butter - this will be used together with the beeswax and mica powder to form a cream shadow.

Jojoba Oil - can be added together with mica powder as well as with the beeswax and shea butter. If mixed with only mica powder, it will make a pressed eyeshadow.

Vegetable Glycerin - mix with beeswax, jojoba oil, and shea butter to create a creamy eyeshadow.

Vitamin E Oil - mix with only mica powder OR beeswax, jojoba oil, and shea butter.

Arrowroot Powder - combine with shea butter to make an eyeshadow base. Add a natural colorant or mica powder to get desired color.

Natural Coloring Agents - if you don’t want to use mica powder, you can use natural ingredients such as beet root powder, turmeric, cocoa powder, allspice and nutmeg.

So once you have all of these ingredients, you’re pretty much set to make any type of eyeshadow! Here’s a basic recipe I always use:

8 beeswax pastilles
1 tsp refined shea butter
24 drops refined jojoba oil
120 drops vegetable glycerin
12 drops vitamin E oil
2 1/4 tsp mica powder

Add the beeswax and shea butter in a small bowl and microwave until melted. Let cool for a minute and add the rest of the ingredients until well incorporated.
Transfer the mixture to a clean and empty container and let set for 24 hours!
And there you have it, your own eyeshadow :slight_smile:

1 Like

yesss everything she said, if you really wanna get into making your own cosmetics, you’ll def need all of those ingredients! But it’s soo much fun and so worth it!