What's the best way to make a homemade shampoo?

I’m going to start making my own shampoo now that I have so much time on my hands, and I’m also trying to veer away from products that are filled with chemicals.

If anyone has a good shampoo recipe, please share :slight_smile:

@thebeautyfanatic so the first thing you’ll need for a homemade shampoo is Castile soap. You can usually get this on Amazon, and it’s actually pretty cheap. Then, mix in some essential oils of your choice, as well as another carrier oil such as sweet almond oil, especially if you have dry hair.

What type of hair do you have? Dry, oily? Depending on that, I can give you a few different recipes!

@naturalgirl7 I have very coarse, dry hair so I would need something that’s very moisturizing. I already bought the Castile soap and I have avocado oil. What kind of essential oils would I need?

Sorry for the late reply, I completely forgot to write back - yikes!!

So, this is one of my favorite homemade shampoo recipes for dry hair. I have combination hair - in the winter it’s super dry, but in the summer, it can get very oily, so I use this a lot in the winter and it really hydrates and moisturizes like nothing else!

1. 1 cup coconut oil
  2. 1 cup aloe vera gel
  3. ¼ cup distilled water
  4. 2 tablespoons raw honey
  5. 1 teaspoon lavender essential oil
  6. 1 teaspoon rosemary essential oil
  7. ½ cup liquid castile soap
  8. 1 teaspoon avocado oil

Also, just a NOTE: you actually don’t need to use the Castile soap in this recipe unless you’re looking for that foam. If you omit it from this recipe, the shampoo won’t foam and lather up, but your hair will still be just as clean and moisturized!

As I always have dandruff issues that’s why I prefer Aloe Vera shampoo. With the use of dry herbs, distilled water, castile soap, essential oils, Aloe Vera get and jojoba oil, you can make it at home with great ease.